Most individuals aren't genetically blessed with perfectly aligned smiles. However, there are several options for achieving the beautiful, straight teeth that you want. While braces are an excellent solution for correcting misaligned teeth or a misaligned bite, not everyone is thrilled by the idea of wearing obvious metal brackets and wires for a lengthy period of time. Fortunately, Invisalign®, offered to Decatur, Huntsville, and Madison, Alabama patients is an outstanding alternative.
Invisalign® treatment consists of a series of customized trays that are worn in succession of each other to gradually shift the teeth into their correct position. The trays are clear and virtually undetectable to others when worn. Additionally, they are comfortable and convenient. To learn more about Invisalign®, or to schedule a consultation, contact our Decatur, Huntsville, or Madison dental practice today.
The first step in the process is the most important. One of our talented and caring cosmetic dentists will meet with you for a consultation, during which he will gain an in-depth understanding of your aesthetic desires. Additionally, he will conduct a thorough evaluation of your smile, take X-rays, impressions, and digital images, and then map out a treatment plan for achieving your goals. Next, the following steps take place:
- X-rays, images, and impressions are sent to the Invisalign® lab where the aligners are custom crafted.
- The dentist distributes the aligners and provides instructions for how long and how often to wear them - which typically includes wearing them for at least 22 hours a day for two weeks before switching to the next aligner in the series.
- The patient schedules checkup appointments approximately every four to six weeks, so the dentist can assess his or her progress.
- At the end of treatment, the patient must wear a retainer in order to keep the teeth in their new position.
Candidates for Invisalign®
The best way to learn whether you are a candidate for Invisalign® is to meet with a qualified cosmetic dentist like Drs. Bryant, Noel, and Gravitt. Ideal candidates for Invisalign® treatment include individuals who need to correct:
- Misaligned or twisted teeth
- Overbite, underbite, crossbite
- · Widely spaced teeth
- Previous orthodontics with relapse
Many Invisalign® patients had braces at one point in time, however require additional corrective treatment. Additionally, good candidates should:
- Have healthy teeth and gums - no decay or gum disease
- Be non-smokers
- Practice good oral hygiene habits
- Be able to commit to seeing treatment through to the end
Benefits of Invisalign®
The benefits of Invisalign include:
- Achieve a beautiful smile
- Prevent oral health issues, like decay and gum disease
- Trays are removable - Easily maintain good oral hygiene habits
- No need to avoid foods you love, like you do with traditional braces
- Trays are smooth and comfortable - do not irritate cheeks and tongue
- Aligners are clear, therefore unnoticeable to others
- Enhance confidence with improved smile
- Maintain natural look during treatment
- Fewer office visits are required than with traditional braces
Risks or Side Effects of Invisalign®
There are no serious risks associated with Invisalign® treatment, especially with our talented cosmetic dentists. Some patients may have a bad reaction to the material used for the trays; however, this is an extremely rare occurrence and can be avoided by disclosing your medical history during your consultation.
Patients are urged to not smoke during treatment, as smoking can cause the trays to become stained. Additionally, it is important to maintain good oral hygiene habits, including brushing and flossing, so the teeth remain healthy and strong. Patients must wear a retainer once treatment is complete, so the teeth remain in their new position. Patients may experience some minor discomfort when a new tray is worn, as the teeth move. However, symptoms are temporary and can be alleviated with over-the-counter pain medication.
Learn More about Invisalign®
Invisalign® has revolutionized the way patients receive treatment for misaligned smiles. Now you can enjoy convenience and comfort while on your journey toward a beautiful and healthy smile. To learn more about Invisalign®, or to schedule a consultation, contact our Decatur, Huntsville, or Madison office today.